Website Design: DIY or Professional Services – The Pros and Cons
It is not just businesses that have websites, even individuals have their own websites. A website is your digital identity today and everyone wants a good quality website. To create a top-notch website, you have two options. The first is DIY or you do it on your own. The second is to use the services of a professional website designer.
Both these options have their own pros and cons. If you were confused over which option to choose, then read on to know more about these options.
DIY Website Design
Website design is not rocket science. You can learn it easily thanks to various resources available online. In fact, you can even design a website without design or coding skills. There are many website builder tools available online. Some are free and some paid. You can use these tools to create a website easily. DIY is a great option for people who love to do things themselves.
Pros of DIY Website Design
- You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. It is possible to design a website without spending any money by using freely available website builder tools.
- If you spend some time learning, then you can create a good quality website yourself.
- A key benefit of DIY web design is that you get exactly what you want. If you outsource, you need to convey your requirements to the designer who would then translate it into a design. In the process, the end result may not satisfy you. When you do it yourself, you get exactly what you want.
- You have complete control over the entire process since you are doing it yourself. You can use exactly the layout and stock photos you want to express yourself.
- At the end of it, there is a sense of accomplishment since you have created the website.
Cons of DIY Website Design
- DIY website design calls for a lot of investment in time and effort. You should either learn how to use a website builder or learn web design skills. This calls for time and a lot of work.
- If there are any problems with the website, there is no one to turn to for help. You need to set things right yourself.
- There are many limitations to website builders. You cannot customize the website as you want. To do that you have to spend more money.
- If you are running a business, you need to spend time on your core activities. Doing website design would take up your precious time.
Using professional Website design services
As the name suggests, the website design is done by professionals who have both experience and expertise. As a result, their work would be of the best quality. Working with a professional website designer would help you get a website that can attract visitors and boost your business.
Pros of using professional website design services
- Professional website designers would have designed many websites. They know exactly what visitors are looking for. They would create a website to get more visitors.
- Apart from basic design, they can also help you with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to help you rank higher on Google searches. This will help you increase your website’s popularity.
- If you need advanced features like e-commerce, it is best to go with professionals. They will help you integrate payment facilities into your website.
- The overall look and feel of the website would be professional. This is the biggest benefit of working with professional designers.
- Using their services saves you time and effort.
- They can also help you with ongoing support. It includes solving problems and making updates to the website.
Cons of using professional website design services
- The biggest disadvantage of working with a professional website designer is the costs involved. The fees charged would be substantial, and you should be ready to spend money. The more service you need, the more you need to pay.
- You will have to depend on the designer for updates and maintenance.
- You don’t have control of the design and if there are communication issues, the end result may not be what you want.
- If you choose the wrong service provider, the end result can be disappointing.
Both these options have their advantages and disadvantages. If you are still confused, then you need to evaluate if you can put in time and effort to do the design yourself. If you have the time, then DIY is the best option. If you do not have time and are willing to spend money, then work with a professional web designer.